Friday, February 28, 2014

One Hat at a Time

This isn't what I planned on posting today (*snort.. like I actually plan...) 
but I have SUPER big amazing exciting earth-shattering breaking news.

Are you ready for it??

Ella.. wore.. a hat.... for the first time today. 

Well... okay. I guess she wore one when she was a teeny tiny baby, but that doesn't really count..

Those of you who have seen Ella out and about in the past.. oh 2 1/2 years or so may or may not have noticed that this girl is NEVER wearing a hat. It's not for lack of choices (we have a entire box of different styles) or lack of opportunities (-30 degree windchill, anyone??). It's because this girl freaks (corrected: freaked, as in past tense) out whenever I tried to put one on her. I vividly remember the day this happened for the first time. Since Ella was born in January and had no problem wearing hats the first few months of her life, I had no reason to believe the next winter would be any different. Boy was I wrong.. I was bundling her up to go outside one day and casually threw a hat on her head. Insert crying, screaming, tearing the hat off and trying to rip it to shreds and an ensuing 30 minutes of gassy tummy reflux pains. I remember running to the computer, typing on the CdLS Discussion Board, "Is this normal??" And by the responses yes, YES this is very normal. Aversion of hats, gloves, socks, shoes (another blog on this to come!), hair accessories, all tend to go along with the syndrome, probably due to sensory issues. I remember thinking what a cruel, cruel trick to play on me. Finally I have a daughter to do girly things with, but am forced to suffer without the ability to dress her in cute hats, frilly dresses, adorable shoes and hair accessories galore. I mean, what's even the point of having a girl without those things? Kidding of course, but it was just another one of those 'things' on the seemingly never ending list of ways Ella was different from other kids, of missed opportunities and things we would never get to experience. 

Every year when the air turns chilly I pull out the boxes of winter clothes. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I try again. And it's the same every time. Crying, screaming, tearing the hat off and trying to rip it to shreds. Darn you sensory processing disorder!!!  And so this entire frigid winter Ella has not wore a hat. She will tolerate her hood up, so that saves us on the cold run to the car when we go out, and thankfully she has a full head of hair to keep her a little warmer, but I had resigned to the fact that Ella just might never wear a hat. 

Until the other day. We were playing in her room and I happened to notice a hat laying on her dresser. Because I was bored and obviously thought a little 30 minute screaming session would be just the thing to liven up our day I said, "Hey Ella! A hat! Wanna try it on?" I don't know what I was expected, but it was NOT this.
she looks like a little thug with her beanie and cross necklace.. lol
She kept it on! She walked around with it! She went downstairs and came back up and smiled! She didn't cry, scream, rip it off or tear it to shreds! I was in shock. I don't know if it's from watching this guy wear a hat (without freaking out) all winter or what?

But whatever it is, we (and by 'we' I mostly mean 'I') are/am SO excited. Naturally I pulled the box of hats out of storage (read: the box I mindlessly threw on the porch last fall and haven't gotten around to actually putting away yet) and tried some one. 

Watch out world! She's got a hat and she knows how to wear it..

Sorry everyone who is hoping spring weather comes soon.. 
This girl's got some lost hat wearing time to make up! 
Polar Vortex? Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. She is SO adorable in all of her hats! How fun? Bring on the cold, right?

    (I can say that because I don't have to experience it)

    Such a cute post! Thank you for sharing!

    P.s. Hudson is pretty cute too. =)

    ReplyDelete